Beef, vegetable and barley soup
2 hours 20 mins
- 2 tlb olive oil
- 500g beef, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 swede, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks of celery, string removed and diced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups water
- Heat 1 tbs oil in deep saucepan over medium heat.
- Add half beef, cook until browned
- Transfer to plate and add more oil, cook remaining beef, remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil, add onions and cook till soft.
- Add paprika, stir for further minute
- Add carrots, swede, celery, stock, barley, water and beef. Stir
- Bring to the boil
- Remove any scum build up ontop of the soup
- Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 1½ hours
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with crusty bread.
By Kat - The Organised Housewife